- 1998-2001: Ph.D. in Business Administration, School of Management, Fudan University.
- 1995-1998: Master Student of Economics, School of Management, Fudan University.
- 1986-1990: Bachelor of Economics, School of Management, Fudan University
- 2016-Now: Professor, School of Economics & Management, Tongji University.
- 2004-2016: Associate Professor, School of Economics & Management, Tongji University.
- 2003-2004: Assistant Professor, School of Economics & Management, Tongji University.
- 2001-2003: Post-doc, School of Economics & Management, Tongji University.
- 1990-1995: Instructor, Fujian College of Economic Management
- June, 2012: The Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt, Audi Visiting Professor
- Feb, 2012: Harvard Business School, CWCD 2012
- July, 2011: Harvard Business School, GloColl 2011.
- Jul-Oct. 2009: University of California San Diego, visiting scholar
- Mar-Jun, 2006: University of Texas at Arlington, visiting scholar
- Strategic Management
- Industrial Cluster
- Strategic Management
- Management in China
- Research Methods for Management
Sponsored Research Projects
- “The content, antecedents, and consequences of TMT transactive memory systems in Chinese context: A longitudinal investigation”, Supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) under Grant No. 71672127, 2017
- “Executive cognition, managerial discretion and corporate social responsibility”, supported by Humanities and Social Science Fund of Ministry of Education of China under Grant No.13YJA630008, 2013
Scholarly Papers in int’l refereed journals
- Yang, Z., Zhang, H., Kwan, H. K., & Chen, S.* (forthcoming). Crossover effects of servant leadership and job social support on employee spouses: the mediating role of employee organization-based self-esteem. Journal of Business Ethics.
- Zhao, X., Chen, S. *, & Xiong, C. (2016). Organizational attention to corporate social responsibility and corporate social performance: the moderating effects of corporate governance. Business Ethics: A European Review, 25(4), 386-399.
- Chen, S., Bu, M., Wu, S., & Liang, X. (2015). TMT Attention to Innovation and Firm Innovation: The Moderating Role of Corporate Governance, Journal of Business Research, 68(5), 1127-1135.
- Chen, L. H., Wu, C. H., & Chen, S.* (2015). Gratitude and Athletes’ Life Satisfaction: An Intra-individual Analysis on the Moderation of Ambivalence over Emotional Expression. Social Indicators Research, 123(1), 227-239.
- Si, S., Yu, X., Wu, A., Chen, S., Chen, S., & Su, Y. (2015). Entrepreneurship and poverty reduction: A case study of Yiwu, China. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 32(1), 119-143.
- Joardar, A., Wu, S., & Chen, S. (2014). The impact of national culture and type of entrepreneurs on outsourcing. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 10(3), 643-659.
- Chen, S., Shen, Y., Naznin, P., Wang, H., & Wu, S. (2014). Types of poverty and entrepreneurial intention in Bangladesh. Social Behavior and Personality: an international journal, 42(5), 857-867.
- Yunis, M., Jung, J., & Chen, S. * (2013). TQM, strategy, and performance: a firm-level analysis. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, 30(6), 690-714.
- Chen, S., & Liao, Z. (2012). Free Cash Flow and Over-investment: the Moderating Role of the Characteristics of Independent Director. Advances in Information Sciences and Service Sciences, 4(3), 147-158.
- Chen, S., Tao, J., & Yang, H. (2011). A Fuzzy AHP Approach for Evaluating Customer Value of B2C Companies. Journal of Computers, 6(2), 224-231.
- Chen, S., Li, J. (2010). Examining Consumers’ Willingness to Buy in Chinese Online Market. Journal of Computers, 5(5), 815-824.
- Chen, S., Li, Y., & Cheng, D. Industrial Policy in the Technological Development. Chemical Industry Press, 2010. ( in Chinese)
- Chen, S. Network of Enterprises. Shanghai: Shanghai People’s Publishing House, 2007. ( in Chinese)
Papers presented in academic conferences
- Chen, S., Joardar, A., Hou, W., & Wu, S. (2016, June). Emerging Differently: Empirical Examination of Entrepreneurial Optimism and Performance in Developing Countries. Academy of International Business annual conference. New Orleans.
- Chen, S., Dai, Y., & Shen, Y. (2015, August). A Behavioral Theory of CSR Reporting: Aspirations and Quality of CSR Reports. Academy of Management annual conference. Vancouver
- Chen, S., Liao, Z., & Zhao, X. (2013, August). Corporate Philanthropy and Corporate Financial Performance. Academy of Management annual conference. Orlando
- Chen, S., Li, R., & Zhao, X. (2012, August). CEO Attention, Governance Structure, and Corporate Social Performance: Evidence from China. Academy of Management annual conference. Boston
- Chen, S., Bu, M., Liang, X., & Wu, S. (2012, August). Executive cognition and firm innovation activities: The moderating role of corporate governance. Academy of Management annual conference. Boston
Recognition of Research Excellence
- 2014 Outstanding Paper Award for the paper “TQM, strategy, and performance: a frim-level analysis”, International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management.