· 2013: PhD in Finance, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
· 2008: MA in Economics, Peking University, China Center for Economic Research
· 2005: BA in Economics with highest distinction, Fudan University, School of Economics
- 2017-Now Head, Department of Economics and Finance
- 2015- Now Professor, School of Economics and Management, Tongji University
- 2013-2015 Associate Professor, School of Economics and Management, Tongji University
- Applied microeconomics studies in the fields of labor economics, corporate finance and development economics.
- China's economic reform and development
- “Unions and Workers’ Welfare in Chinese Firms”(I am the corresponding author) with Yang Yao, Journal of Labor Economics 31, no. 3 (2013):633–67.
- “How Urban Segregation Distorts Chinese Migrants’Consumption”(I am the corresponding author) with Ming Lu and Binkai Chen, World Development, no. 70 (2015): 133–146.
- “Corporate Governance of Chinese Privatized Firms,” (Single author) Journal of Comparative Economics, Vol. 43, page.1101-1121, Nov., 2015.
- “Does Corporate Governance Enhance Common Interests of Shareholders and Primary Stakeholders?”(I am the first author) with Shujing Wang and Rudai Yang, Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 141, page 411–431, Mar., 2017.
- “The demand effect of yield-chasing retail investors: Evidence from the Chinese enterprise bond market”, (I am the corresponding author) with Clark Liu, Shujing Wang and K.C. John Wei, Journal of Empirical Finance, Vol. 50, Page 57-77, Jan., 2019.
- “Housing demand and household saving rates in china: Evidence from a housing reform”, (I am the co-corresponding author) with Binkai Chen and Xi Yang, Journal of Housing Economics, Vol. 49, Sep. 2020.
- “Housing Wealth as Precautionary Saving: Evidence from Urban China”， (I am the co-corresponding author) with Gary Painter and Xi Yang, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Published online by Cambridge University Press: 25 January 2021
Sponsored Research Projects
- “Privatization, Corporate Governance, and Labor Welfare,” National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Number: 71402123; Amount: 210,000 RMB), Jan., 2015–Dec.,2017.
- “Hukou Restriction, Housing Marketization and Chinese Households’ Low Consumption,” Shanghai Pujiang Program: 2014 Excellent Talents (Grant Number: 14PJC104; Amount: 100,000 RMB), Sep., 2014–Aug., 2016.
- “Capital Structure and Corporate Governance of Chinese Firms,” Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities: 2013 (Grant Number: 1200219243; Amount: 110,000 RMB), Sep., 2013–Aug., 2016.
Other Professional Experience
- Research Affiliate, China Research and Policy Group, University of Western Ontario, February 2011–present
- Invited and appointed by Prof. John Whalley, Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and Fellow of the Econometric Society
- Research Assistant, Development Research Center of the State Council of China, August 2007–August 2008
- Worked under Prof. Xia Bin, Head of the Research Institute of Finance
- Worked on the project titled “The Role of China in the Future International Monetary System
- Project Assistant, International Finance Corporation of the World Bank Group, Jul 2006-Aug2007
- Worked on the project titled “The Sustainability of the Private Sector in China”
I teach both English- and Chinese-language classes. Evaluations of exchange students (mainly from Europe) consistently rank my courses among the top two English-language courses offered at the business school where I have worked. I was Instructor for the following courses:
- Advanced Topics on China’s Economic Reform and Development (in English), for exchange graduate students, Tongji University, Spring 2014/2015
- Fundamental of Corporate Finance (in English), for exchange undergraduate students, Tongji University, Fall 2013/2014
- Corporate Governance of Chinese Firms (in English), for 22 entrepreneurs from Africa, joint MBA Program of Chinese Economy and Global Trade, July 2015
- Empirical Studies on China’s Economic Reform and Development(in Chinese), for graduate students, Tongji University, Fall 2012
- Ethics and Governance(both in Chinese and English), for business professionals, Australia CPA Training Program,Tongji University, Fall 2012
- Fundamentals of Corporate Finance(in English), for undergraduate students, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Summer 2012
I was Teaching Assistant for the following courses:
- Advanced Topics in Financial Management, MBA course, for Prof. Tim Adam, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Fall2011
- Advanced Derivative Security, MBA course, for Prof. John Wei, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Spring 2011 and 2012
- Derivatives Analysis, MBA course, for Prof. Jonathan A. Batten, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Spring 2011
- Derivative Security, undergraduate course, for Prof. Sophie Ni, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Spring 2010
- Derivatives Analysis, MBA course, for Prof. JieGan, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Fall2009 and 2010
- Intermediate Econometrics, undergraduate course, for Prof. Chia-ShangChu, Peking University, Spring 2007
- New Institutional Economics, undergraduate course, for Prof. Qiren Zhou, Peking University, Fall 2006
I was Thesis Supervisor for the following doctoral candidates: Mengying Yan, Wenhao Tan, Xuan Li. I also supervised the theses of several undergraduate students in double-degree international programs: Christopher Frank (Germany), and Patrice Philippe Toussaint (Germany).
HONORS, SCHOLARSHIPS, and AWARDS
From the Shanghai Pujiang Program:
- Excellent Talents Award, 2014
From Hong Kong University of Science and Technology:
- Postgraduate Studentship, 2008–2013
From the China Research Development Foundation:
- Scholarship for Research on China’s Development, 2007
From Peking University:
- Scholarship for Innovation in Academic Research, 2007
- Excellent Leader of China’s Youth League, 2007
- Social Activities Award, 2006
From Fudan University:
- Fudan “Self-Dependence” Scholarship for Academic Research, 2005
- People’s Scholarship, First Prize, 2003–2005
- Unilever Scholarship for Outstanding Students, 2004
- Chun-Tsung Scholarship for Outstanding Undergraduate Researchers, 2004
- Excellent Member of China’s Youth League, 2003
- People’s Scholarship, Second Prize, 2001–2003
From the Shanghai Municipal Government:
- Outstanding University Graduates Award, 2005
- Outstanding High School Graduates Award, 2001