- Decision-making in complex environment towards life cycle sustainability
- decision science enhanced by advanced information technologies
- network study
Research Projects (Recent 5 Years)：
- Global City Case Study (2020) Series: Spatial Structure Analysis of the Energy Corridor District in Houston, USA. Shanghai Decision Advisory Committee. 2019-2020. Principal Investigator (PI).
- Sub-Project: Operation-Oriented Technology and Management System Innovation for Large Buildings (Complex). Shanghai Municipal Science and Technology Commission. 2019-2022.
- Image-based Action Recognition for Automated Operations Monitoring and Safety Control in Electrical Construction, ELECTRI International Early Career Award. 2018-2019.
- Using Human Behavior Pattern for Construction Site Logistic and Safety Strategy Improvement, Internal MSP Research Develop Support Fund, University of Massachusetts, Amherst. 2016-2017.
- Analysis and Control of the Impact Mechanism of Organizational Communication Network Topology Structure on Harmful Optimistic Deviation, National Natural Science Foundation of China. 2018-2021. Senior Participated Researcher.
- (Second Phase) Horizontal Hybrid Solar Light Pipe: An Integrated System of Daylight and Electric Light, Funded by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). 2010.08- 2012.08. Research Assistant.
Academic Papers (*Corresponding Author, Recent 5 Years)：
- Xiao, C., Shi, Q.*, Liu, Y., & Lu, Y., (2020). An Integrated Framework of Machine Learning (ML) Application in Construction Project Management (CPM): A Critical Literature Review from 2009 to 2019. Automation in Construction, 1st Round R&R.
- Akhnoukh, A. K., Youssef, T. A., & Xiao, C*. (2018). Accelerated Bridge Construction Using Prefabricated Bridge Elements and Systems. Concrete Plant International: CPI. 5(8), 105-112.
- Fernández-Solís, J. L., Rybkowski, Z. K., Xiao, C*., Lü, X., & Chae, L. S. (2014). “General contractor's project of projects–a meta-project: understanding the new paradigm and its implications through the lens of entropy.” Architectural Engineering and Design Management, 11(3), 213-242.
- Shi, Q., Zhou, Y., Xiao, C., Chen, R., & Zuo, J. (2014). “Delivery risk analysis within the context of program management using fuzzy logic and DEA: A China case study.” International Journal of Project Management, 32(2), 341-349.
- Chong, D., He., X., Ji, Y., & Xiao, C., (2020). Resource Utilization Behavior of Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement Based on Theory of Planned Behavior, In Construction Research Congress 2020. Phoenix, US.
- Xiao, C*., Liu, Y., & Akhnoukh, A. K. (2018). Bibliometric Review of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Construction Engineering & Management. International Conference on Construction and Real Estate Management (ICCREM-2018): Innovative Technology and Intelligent Construction. American Society of Civil Engineers. Charleston, SC.
- Xiao, C*., & Fernandez-Solis, J. L. (2016). Are Building Construction Delivery Systems Complicated or Complex?. In Construction Research Congress 2016 (pp. 1844-1854). San Juan, Puerto Rica.
- CMGT3010 Construction Modeling and Information Technology (East Carolina University)
- BCT597 Peeking over the Fence over Construction Sites (UMass-Amherst)
- BCT597U Project Planning and Scheduling (UMass-Amherst)
- BCT494BI Senior Seminar (Capstone) (UMass-Amherst)
- BCT550 Construction Project Management (UMass-Amherst)
- BCT353 Business of Building (UMass-Amherst)
- COSC 323 Soils in Construction (Texas A&M University)
- COSC175 Construction Graphics (Texas A&M University)